Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Surgery

The first time Elvis was sick was when he was 11 months old and it was pretty serious b/c he had the H1N1 virus. The next month in December he had strep and in the same month a bilateral ear infection. In January we decided to put him in daycare for the 1st time since he was finally a year old. Bad idea b/c the sickness continued due to the exposure of new germs. We finally took him out of daycare after just 1 1/2 months and if I'm recalling correctly we spent $1200 on daycare and medical expenses during that time and that doesn't count all the work we missed. I know at one point my boss was hinting that I need to do something quick b/c my job was in jeopardy. He did get a little better once we pulled him from daycare but he still continued to get sick. He would get sick about every 3 months and over the course of another year it went from getting sick every 3 months to every 2 months to being sick every other week and being on antibiotics back to back and all kinds of maintenance meds. He constantly had some kind of sinus or ear infection. Last week we went to the doctor with yet another bilateral ear infection but this time was it... she referred us to an ENT. Which I had a feeling was going to happen b/c I've already gone down this road w/Kennedy. Both of my children have been not so blessed with both of their father's sinus problems and allergies. Kennedy's already had an adenoidectomy and I knew the ENT was going to say Elvis needs one too. We were literally with the ENT for maybe 10 minutes and he was like, "Yup, I'm going to take his adenoids." No doubt about it. At this point we're not sure if he needs tubes or a tonsillectomy; we're going to have the adenoids removed and see how he reacts to that. If the ear infections and the sinus infections keep recurring then we'll go ahead with the other procedures. Hopefully this works b/c I don't want him to go through all that. He's been poked and prodded and full of all kinds of medicines. I just want my little man to be better and healthy and I want him not to cough or sniffle and to be able to breathe though his nose. His surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday so wish us luck! I just hope he reacts to the anesthesia well b/c he's never been sedated. Kennedy did really well so I'm sure he'll be fine.

2 comments:

  1. I'll keep ya'll in my prayers. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby, I predict he will be MUCH better after the surgery! Carson is home with strep today, gotta love kid germs : (

    ReplyDelete